Like you, we have all been paying close attention to the news and the loosening of restrictions for isolation. We hope you have been able to catch up with some family and a friend or two this week.
What does this mean for us?
In the immediate time frame, not much will change. Our ministries will remain as-is for at least the next few weeks until a potential further loosening of restrictions. That means Life Groups still meet online, kids and youth will still be happening with online programs, and Church Online is still the only option for our services.
When will we be able to start using the building again for services?
We are likely still months away from our large public gatherings. The reality is we really can’t be sure at this stage until we see how things unfold. Over the next few weeks we are planning to move back into the building for our recording and/or live streaming. Right now we are upgrading our internet connection to be ready for that. When we do come back as a larger group, it is quite possible that we will need to run 2 services in the morning to be able to keep our numbers under 500 and maintain social distancing. We are discussing what that will look like now.
When we are back to in person gatherings will we still be doing Church Online?
Our answer is a passionate YES! In 2018 when Pastor Stan began his role as lead pastor at WBC one of the conversations he began in the first month was ‘What do we need in place to be able to stream our services online?’ That has been a part of his vision from the beginning and this crisis has revealed the timing of that move. So yes, we are working hard right now in figuring out just how we will be able to keep offering Church Online as we move back to a physical gathering.
What we want to make clear is that the unprecedented crisis has created unprecedented opportunities and life and church will look different even when we return. We will make sure the good things that have come from this crisis continue.
Ps Stan Richey
Q: ARE REGULAR SUNDAY SERVICES STILL HAPPENING?
Physical gatherings are currently cancelled and we will are streaming weekly Sunday services at 10am.
Q: WHAT ABOUT KIDS, YOUTH AND OTHER MID-WEEK PROGRAMS?
WBCKids and WBCYouth have their own weekly programs and online meet-ups and will endeavour to promote those via Facebook and email where possible. Other mid-week programs are being paused or moved online and ministry leaders will communicate with the appropriate people and/or communities.
Q: FOR HOW LONG WILL THIS BE HAPPENING?
At this stage we are planning week-by-week and will update this page with the latest updates. This situation may be a challenge for some of us. If you know people who will find it difficult to engage online, please consider helping them connect to the live stream or let us know and we will see what we can do to help them.
Q: WHAT IS WBC DOING TO HELP PREVENT THE SPREAD OF CORONAVIRUS?
We are following all health and hygiene recommendations and have implemented a range of strategies for WBC including:
- Providing online options for those unable to attend physically.
- Adapting typical greetings and handshakes to minimise risk of touching hands/faces.
- Sanitising common areas, equipment, and other facilities.
- Extra care and diligence towards health and hygiene in our WBCKids programs.
- Co-ordinating with external groups as they use our venue spaces.
- Praying for our government leaders, health professionals and for those affected by the virus.
Q: WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
- Trust God. No matter how dire circumstances get, the Lord remains our refuge and strength, “an ever-present help in trouble” (Ps. 46:1).
- Pray for our government leaders, health professionals and for those affected by the virus.
- Practice good personal hygiene by regularly washing your hands with strong sanitiser.
- Avoid non-essential physical touch with others.
- If you are sick or have cold/flu-like symptoms, consider calling your GP and please do not attend WBC services or other WBC gatherings such as mid-week events, WBCYouth, Small Groups etc.
- If your children are sick or have cold/flu-like symptoms, please do not check them into WBCKids.
- If you have recently travelled overseas, please check the current Australian Government restrictions and follow any isolation guidelines.
For current information on the coronavirus from the Australian Department of Health: https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert